Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Mystery Solved

Many of you know that my husband has been sick for about 5 weeks and has just barely started recovering. He finally has his personality back this week and I am very happy about that. I have realized how much I count on at least ONE of us being cheerful, easy-going, goofy, and positive! Glad he's back.

MJH had tests run ranging anywhere from Valley Fever to Lymphoma. He had 3 CAT scans, a PET scan (lymphoma), and countless blood cultures. We had been waiting on the last round of lab results for at least a week and last Wednesday they finally called to say - oops, they didn't have enough blood after all to run all of the test. Ahhhh! Infuriating. More waiting. So, MJH went yet again to have more blood drawn.

We got the results back today! It was MONO alright but the CMV strain of Mono which I guess is a rare form. Most people who get Mono have the Epstein-Barr virus. This one is different, but like EB, kids are usually the ones who get it. For some reason in MJH it WIPED HIM OUT!

So, halleluja, the mystery is solved. But it still means that he could get the EB Mono some day.

At least he has established care with a real doctor in town which is something that he's been meaning to do for a long time. And after he and the dr. discussed the latest test results MJH requested another blood draw for a baseline cholesterol test. More blood! But at least it was his choice this time. I just had my cholesterol tested and now we'll see if he can beat my 117! Maybe we both can live to be 100.

5 comments:

Artsy Aut said...

Im so glad he is getting better! I hope you do live to be 100, you would be a very cute old lady!!

brownymama said...

We had no idea! So glad he's starting to feel better and that they know what it is. I'm sure that was a scary wait!

Jen said...

I am so glad you have the answer now! I have been so worried! Yeah! HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO!

Frozen Cacti said...

I had a friend who got the cytomegalovirus a couple years ago. It knocked her out for a long time too. She is doing fine now.

I hope your hubby gets his energy back soon. At least it wasn't something really bad.

collette said...

I'm glad they finally figured it out and that he is recovering. Hopefully he can do the Ragnar next year. I had a great time.