Sunday, August 3, 2008

Summer Side Dish

Well, life has been crazy at our house as we have finished up Summer and are getting ready for school to start . . .TOMORROW! Lately I seem to be a blogger like I am a journal writer - there are periods of drought and then I provided tons of information and play "catch up." So here's my end-of-the-Summer catch up . . . in my next few posts.

I have mentioned our garden in previous posts - it has exploded, that's for sure. Last night MJH came in from checking on it with this:



A PUMPKIN! This plant just started to grow in our garden (not something we put in the ground this year) early in our planting season and we were sure it wasn't a weed but we really didn't know what it was so we let it grow. The fruit on it looked pumpkin-like but the leaves looked different from our other pumpkin plant that is growing. When we got back from being away for a while this is what we found. It must be a plant that makes smaller pumpkins than the other one we planted and that's why they look different. What to do with a pumpkin in August . . . ? Anyone ever made pie from a real pumpkin before?! I haven't but I'll take pointers from anyone who has.

If you have a garden, you may also have more squash and zucchini than you know what to do with! Here is a recipe for my most favorite Summer side-dish using yellow crook-necked squash. Now, I am not really asquash fan but I love this dish - and my young, single-adult brother-in-law took this to a pot luck with his friends and got rave reviews from everyone. So, don't be shy - eat squash.



Squash Casserole (creative name huh?)

2 lbs. crook-necked squash, sliced thinly
1 small onion, chopped
1 C sour cream
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 tsp. salt (optional - taste and add it if needed)
1 box Stove Top Stuffing
1/2 C butter melted

In a large pot boil the sliced squash and onion together in heavily salted water for 5 minutes. Drain. Melt the butter and combine with the stuffing, set aside. In a large bowl mix together the sour cream and the soup. Gently fold in the squash/onion. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray. Spread half of the stuffing mixture in the bottom of the pan. Pour in squash mixture. Top with remaining stuffing. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes.



Notes: I used just 6 Tbsp. of butter this time and it came out just fine. I think I also used less squash than it called for. It's a very forgiving recipe - but it did need the extra salt. Try mixing in shredded carrot for color with the soup mixture, or add some zucchini or chicken for a complete meal.

5 comments:

The Fear Fam said...

Mmm, looks yummy.
If you're looking for other squash & zucchini recipes, there are a lot on everydayfoodstorage.blogspot.com. (One of my fav sites) It even has a few recipes for hiding yellow squash in mac & cheese and even cupcakes! :)

~A

Brandi said...

We just got back in town and have squash coming out our ears! The garden exploded while we were gone, so I will definitely try this recipe. I also experimented with a zucchini cobbler recipe that turned out so good. Everyone thought it was apples in it, ha ha, it was zucchini. I'll send you the recipe!

Jen said...

That pumpkin is gorgeous!

Dawn said...

I miss my garden so much this year! If you have any extras, pass them on over, seriously I'll take the squash too!

Rolyndia said...

That does not look to bad. I have to say that I can't stand squash, but may give this a try.