Sunday, May 4, 2008

Salted Peanut Chews

We attended a fabulous BBQ this weekend - the tables were over flowing with some of the most delicious food! It was a temptation to fill my plate with a sampling of salads instead of a juicy burger. Somehow I managed to enjoy every bite of my hamburger AND taste most of the delectible side dishes.

I was asked to bring some goodies - which is probably my favorite thing to create in the kitchen, so I was excited to bring those good 'ol York Peppermint Patty Brownies and something new that I hadn't tried before. Hands down, the York brownies are to die for but the Salted Peanut Chews were outstanding as well. Let's just put it this way, it was very hard to eat only one so I didn't. I love chewy caramel corn VS. the drier, crunchy kind and so these cookies are right up my alley - the top is chewy, gooey goodness! Yum-O.



Salted Peanut Chews

1 (16.5 oz.) roll Pillsbury refrigerated sugar cookie dough
3 C mini marshmallows
2/3 C corn syrup
1/4 C butter or margarine
2 tsp. vanilla
1 (10 oz.) bag peanut butter chips
2 C crisp rice cereal
2 C salted peanuts (cocktail or party peanuts, not roasted salted)

Heat oven to 350 degrees. In an ungreased 9x13 pan, break up the cold cookie dough and with floured fingers, press evenly in the bottom of the pan to form a crust. Bake 15-20 minutes or until lightly golden brown. Immediately sprinkle with the marshmallows and return to the oven for 1-2 more minutes or until the marshmallows just begin to puff. Cool while making the topping.

In a large saucepan, heat the corn syrup, butter, vanilla, and peanut butter chips. Stir constantly just until melted and smooth. Remove from the heat and stir in the cereal and peanuts. Immediately spoon over the marshmallows and spread to cover. Refrigerate until firm, about 45 minutes.

8 comments:

brownymama said...

Yummy! My mom used to make something similar to this when I was little. Sorry about MJH's tooth. But I think I'll get a good chuckle out of it! (: Can't wait to see the picture!

Adriane said...

I think while Matt's tooth is missing ya'll should come on over to Arkansas. I know a certain Wal-mart we can go to while you're here. Matt will look like the regular customers. What a fun memory. You must take lots of pictures. Also, can you post your peppermint patty brownie recipe? Or, is it already somewhere in your blog. I guess I could look. Those sound mouthwatering. See ya :-)

Anonymous said...

looks like yum to meeee.
does everyone totally hate me????? am i "less active" now?????? is that really who i am?

The Dinner Belle said...

Adriane! So glad you found me!!! I clicked on your name to try and get to your blog but I don't think you have one - Am I right?

Hope you found the brownie recipe on "older posts" in my blog. I haven't figured out how to make links in my posts to other posts or websites. I'm sure it's not hard but that would have been helpful in your case. Enjoy the brownies! They are wicked.

Katie said...

Yum!! Where do you get all your recipes? This is another one I cant wait to try.

megan said...

here to say....tried and LOVED THEM!!

Jen said...

Um, I can't wait to see you too. Nick is so excited for the almond meals. He thinks he will be able to loose some weight while we are there since he won't be able to eat a thing! :) Pray for some heat, but not too much! :) We can't wait. It's only 2 weeks away!

Emily said...

These look so yummy!