We all have a dinner that is our "Go To" meal - one that is cheap and easy to prepare. At our house it is Meatless Tacos (and pancakes). It is a great vegetarian meal that taste good to boot. My family would actually drive a half-hour away to get these at a restaurant when I was growing up. The "Mexican" in my husband just loves when I fix these - and the beauty is that it really isn't even cooking - it's heating, and anyone can do that! We call these "jumping bean tacos" for the kids - 'cause many of the beans tend to jump out of your taco and onto your plate. Cute huh? Here are the instructions:
Meatless Tacos
Heat a griddle or large skillet over fairly high heat. While your griddle is heating, warm up one or two cans of whole pinto beans (we use two cans for our family of 4 eaters), undrained, in a saucepan on your stove. Season with garlic salt and pepper. Keep warm. Place corn tortillas on the griddle and heat on one side until starting to crisp. (I like mine more crunchy than soft so I let them heat for a little while.)

Turn the tortillas over and top with two slices of Monterey Jack cheese. Let it heat through until the cheese is melted. In the picture we used pepper jack cheese or what I thought was pepper jack. It would have been great if it was actually pepper jack and not the "hot pepper processed cheese" stuff I picked up - gross. I obviously didn't read the label very well. Plain old jack is what I prefer - you can heat things up with your salsa.

Spoon warm beans onto your tortilla with a slotted spoon. Top with sliced avocado and your favorite salsa. Fold and eat with plenty of napkins.
Wednesday, April 16, 2008
My "Go To" Dinner
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
6 comments:
Yum! That looks good and super easy. Cant wait to try it.
yummm. make me one.
thanks.
These are a favorite in our house too! I put taco seasoning in my beans. That's yummy too!
Okay - I'm hungry now (and I just ate dinner!). Those look so tasty.
ooh trying this
i am making this for dinner tonite. and ick on processed pepper jack. you said it.
you saved my night. and i love you for that.
Post a Comment