
I had a gift certificate that my MIL gave me for my b-day that I felt compelled to use recently. As I looked around this fun gift shop my eye was draw to this little red book. I started thumbing through it and I knew instantly that I needed it. "How to Be a Lady, A Contemporary Guide to Common Courtesy." Now, I would love to consider myself a lady (wouldn't we all?) but I am the first to admit that I go out to run errands in my pj's with eye liner smudged under my eyes - and I belong to a family that wouldn't truly call it a successful gathering without the coversation turning to the topic of bodily functions of some kind. So, the lady thing is questionable but I did think that it would be fun to share with all of you what this author thinks are some important points to be working towards on our quest for "lady-hood." I imagine that I will post occasional tid-bits from the book to keep us all laughing. The funny part is that I am not sure this book is meant to be funny. As I read I have two fictional characters in my mind acting out the right way and the wrong way to behave in each of these scenarios and it puts a smile on my face.
Here are a few of the best ones that I have come across so far:
"A lady knows the gym is her opportunity to get in shape. She should be focused on her workout and dress appropriately so she is not a distraction to others or even to herself as she jogs or does aerobic movements. A lady is careful to wear clothes that support her bust line and wears tights or shorts that are complimentary to her figure and functional at the same time. She doesn't use the gym for getting dates or catching up on the latest gossip. A lady knows that is she is serious at the gym, it will pay off."
"When a lady makes her way down a row in a crowded theater, she faces the people who are already in their seats. A lady never forces others to stare at her backside."
"A Lady knows when it is acceptable to eat the garnish."
Sunday, April 6, 2008
A Good Read
Posted by The Dinner Belle at 9:13 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
Those are great! Can't wait until you post more... I definitely need more advice on how to be a lady and I need to pass it on to my girls. 2+ years with a stay at home dad has made them think that anything related to one's bum is hilarious.
~Amy
That is so funny. You mean going out in pjs and yesterdays make-up is not being a lady?? I guess I really need tips on good old fashioned "ladyhood." Sounds like a fun book.
LOVE IT! aaahhh the blessed gym...I'm glad that they said nothing about NOT using it as a daycare for your children :)
i never eat garnish. ever. i didn't know we were suppose to. and i always make people stare at my backside in the rows.
i am sure another one in there is... a lady is never late. which i am so people have to excuse me, and look at my backside when i am late to the movie.
those are funny!
phst! lady this, lady that. i do it kelsey style...no shame...no regrets....(maybe the people I'm around are ashamed, and regret going in public with me, but that's part of the title, okay?) geez. anyways....don't tell my mom about this book....you know what'll happen....
"kelsey...you need to read this whole book before you can get your liscence..." j/k home dog, but it seems like the requirements are becoming greater everyday....but I'm driving again....every morning, and after school...hey! don't be mean! i earned it! 4 hours of Defensive Driving School, Man! and Driver's Ed every day of my life! wa-wa-waaaaaaaaaaa.
I want that book!
gotta have that book. we love laughable reads at dinner!
Post a Comment