Saturday, April 26, 2008

Grillin' Time

I am so glad that it is warming up enough so that we can sit outside on our deck and eat dinner. I titled this post grillin' time - now that it's warming up, that's how a lot of people feel. We actually grill most of the year where we live and I love that. I know we will be putting our BBQ to good use a little more often now though. We had some friends during college who used to grill EVERY SINGLE DAY! I can see why, there is so much that you can prepare on a grill that is more than just burgers and dogs. Have you ever tried pizza on the grill?! It is basically wood fire pizza from the comfort of your own home. YUM.

Tonight we tried a recipe from Family Fun Magazine - Grilled Teriyaki Shish Kebobs and Asian Grilled Pineapple Coleslaw. You put the cabbage, fresh pinapple and green onions right on the grill. It was just OK. A great concept. They used bottled teriyaki sauce for the meat and the coleslaw which saves time but I think it all needed more flavor. I may try and build on the basics of this recipe and improve it so . . . I won't share it with you now. I will say however that the grilled pineapple alone is out-of-this-world. You could try it for dessert a number of different ways but I was just dreaming about how insane it would be topped with some coconut ice cream. Wow!

My dinner tonight brought to mind another recipe that my sister-in-law gave to me for a honey chicken marinade that I use for Shish Kebobs. I think it has a lot of flavor. I will mention here too that my friend Nicole makes some amazing rosemary chicken kebobs, so sky's the limit! Kids love eating food off a stick - you can't go wrong with these. Plus, marinading is a great way to get dinner started in the morning, and it makes for simple prep at dinner time because they cook quick.


Honey Chicken Marinade

1/4 C vegetable oil
1/3 C honey
1/3 C soy sauce
1/4 tsp. black pepper
2 cloves garlic, minced

Mix together and pour over your chicken that you have cut into pretty small chunks. Skewer just before grilling or broiling.

Note: Soak wooden skewers in water for a couple hours before grilling to prevent a camp fire on your grill!

4 comments:

Dawn said...

Yum, we've got to break out our grill and enjoy it as well. Sounds good!

Artsy Aut said...

Grilling is the thing I miss the most living in a high rise. When your 12 floors up it doesnt work the same. Will you grill for me when I come visit?

The Fear Fam said...

MMMM! We're grilling tonight, actually.

Oh, and here's a little fruit grillin' recipe I got from a friend. It is SO good:

Pineapple rings (canned are easiest)
coconut milk
cinnamon sugar mixture

Dip the pineapple in the coconut milk, cover in cinnamon-sugar, and grill! They taste great on hamburgers, on top of ice cream, or by themselves!

~A

Katie said...

We love to grill- especially me- because Eric does all the cooking. Thanks for the yummy ideas.