(This is a little gross - so you can stop reading here if you want to.) AVH has been pulling the tube in his nose out almost daily now, which isn't necessarily a big deal but he hates to have it put back in. Today there were a couple of times that the tube came out a little ways and we couldn't tuck it back in very easily - it seemed kind of stuck but eventually we got it back in. While Matt was at work this afternoon it happened again where the tube came out a few inches and I couldn't just tuck it back in. I tried and tried and after a while it seemed to stay so I didn't worry. I set AVH down on the floor to play and in a minute or two I heard him gagging and choking. I ran over assuming that he had pulled his tube all the way out this time (since that's what it normally sounds like)- what I found instead was the tube still in his nose but the end that goes in his stomach was hanging out of his mouth. Like, 6 inches of it . . . hanging out of his mouth! Can you picture it - do you know what I mean? The tube was taped to his cheek and inserted in his nose, then the rest of it was hanging out of his mouth. I have NO idea how he did that but Matt said that it can happen. AVH was still gagging so I just ended up pulling the whole thing out myself. He felt much better then. Yikes. That was crazy!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Ellis pulled his tube out so many times. We would come to the NICU and his tube would be taped to the other side of his face, crazy cat. I love that you refer to Alex as "AVH." Nurse Ade to the rescue!
ummm...cringing
Oh my goodness....that friggin' tube scares the crud out of me!!!! That night that I was babysitting, and he did it, oh my GOSH!!!! I just about had a heart attack (maybe that isn't a funny joke anymore :), because I thought he couldn't breathe!!!! Man!!!! Better me than you, man!! If that happened when I was there, I would have just....just....cried:)
That's scary! It sounds like you were calm and collected though. Interesting how you get used to things like that. I was freaked out about checking Emily and giving her shots at first but you learn and then it's not scary anymore. How is Alex doing? Has he gained more weight?
EEWWW! Poor little guy! That's so gross, but it reminds me of a guy in high school who snorted spagetti and then loogied it out is mouth and them pulled it back and forth and thought it was funny and people actually wanted to to see that. I think it was the first time I dry heaved. Is there any way the you could insert it for each meal, or would that be even harder? Your such a good mom! I learned last wee how to suck snot out of the back of McKenna's throat so she could nurse better with a cold. THat would've been SOOO useful with the other three, but man, boogers are the ONLY thing that gag me.
Post a Comment