Thursday, August 13, 2009

Case Study

What do you do . . .?

Your Bishop-husband tells you the day before that he invited the missionaries over for dinner - TOMORROW. He claims he'll make pancakes, don't worry, the elders will love it. Oh and, he scheduled an interview at 7:15 that he'll just do at home after the elders leave, which will be right before he has to dash out to a PPI with the stake president.

The next night he sneaks in the door from work just in time to heat up the griddle. Gotta work fast, the elders are on their way. Then the doorbell rings and it's the 7:15 appointment standing at the door, ready for the interview - OVER AN HOUR EARLY. Dinner comes to a grinding halt and Bishop's-wife, who was off the hook, is now pressed in to duty.

Imagine background noise: toddler moaning with arms wrapped around Bishop's-wife's leg, 5 year-old screaming after fingers got slammed in the door, garage door opens and glass jars get knocked over as 8 year old slips out of the house and down the street on his bike. "Ding-dong." The Elders are here.

You:
A. Tie a couple of your sassy little aprons on the Elders and put them to work flipping pancakes and browning sausage.

B. Yank the Bishop out of his interview and give that ward member a piece of your mind for seriously re-arranging your evening.

C. Call 911 'cause this is really an emergency and someone might be dead soon.

D. Kneel down right there and then to thank the Lord for all of your many blessings.


Don't ask me what I would do. I NEVER handle these situations the right way. But fortunately the 8 year old came back and finished cooking the pancakes and stood at the griddle cooking all through dinner.

Next Quiz: What to do when one of the Elders, who is at your house on his FIRST day out of the MTC, wants to share an unusually lengthy message to really start his service off with a bang and the toddler is poopy/covered in syrup, the 8 year old keeps complaining loudly about the smell, the 5 year old is climbing in and out and over and under the couches all 7 of us are sitting on, and the Bishop is watching the clock a little too often 'cause he can't be late to meet with the Stake President and he still has to put on a white shirt and tie?

7 comments:

megan said...

I'm stressed just reading that...my heart rate is up...I need to go and do some deep breathing and silent screaming

Artsy Aut said...

Lets go with A. The more sassy aprons the better. And just so Im clear, this wont ever happen to the 2nd councelors wife right?

Brandi said...

E. RUN AWAY! VERY QUICKLY, JUST RUN!

Abby said...

WOW, Adrienne. That's a pretty tough one. I NEVER trust my husband, though, when he says he'll take care of dinner for something or other he's arranged! But you still have to hold 'em to it, right?! I would have been SO irritated with the interviewee showing up that early - I'm not very Christ-like and I would have had to really bite my tongue clear through to prevent sending them home!

So my vote is E, too! Run away with the kids, get some pizza, and let the fire put itself out! haha!

And for Quiz #2 - I laughed my head off! That seems to happen to us EVERY time the sweet Elders come over! I'm to the point now where I don't even drop hints - I give them a time limit and I"ll interrupt if I have to! They'll understand when they have a family someday and it's my job to help 'clue' them in to the fact that moms are not all full-time missionaries with nothing but time and scriptures on our hands! They DO need to be aware of people's time. We have a pair right now who pops in every week - always during an evening Brandon is working - right in the middle of bath time - and they want to stand in the doorway and visit. We love 'em, but they're SO young!

Sheri N. said...

Well, at least you made me laugh! Sorry it was at your expense. :)

Hilary said...

Didn't know your hubby was a bishop. I check your blog every once in a while . . . love the food pictures. I think my husband and your husband are out of the same mold, although mine is not a bishop. He is still young men's president (for the past 15 years except for maybe 2). I've started buying ice cream with reckless abandon to keep up with the impromptu Sunday night get-togethers. And Elaine is now a pro at brownies.

Call family said...

Thank you Adrain for the great laugh... I can now go to bed! You are amazing and I love you!