Saturday, May 16, 2009

A New Member of Our Family

No need to wait 9 months, we just got a new member of our family - actually we've got two!!!! Meet Mike and Sheila our chickens - both girls BTW. (Sorry Sherrie, the names were changed to protect the innocent.)


I am admitting openly here that there is a part of the inner-me that is a cowgirl. Every year when the rodeo comes to town I think, "I could totally get into this." And I daydream to Rascal Flatts about sprawling land and our own personal petting zoo. Being a city girl I haven't the first clue what to do with farm animals but I have always thought that if we had the opportunity to get some more land some day, I would want some animals. Chickens being at the top of that list. Fresh eggs - that's food storage, man.

Well, we don't have more land right now, but the opportunity arose to take a couple of chickens off the hands of our friends. (Her DH brought home two little chicks for Easter. Cute huh? Until they get bigger.) Even though we live on just a fraction of an acre we've got the perfect little place for Mike and Sheila to make a home. MJH built an enclosure for our garden years ago to keep animals OUT - now he modified part of it to keep our chickens in. And also to keep the chickens OUT of our lettuce.

AAH has shown us that he is quite the chicken handler. He has spent most of the last couple of days, since we acquired Mike and Sheila, out with them in the pen. They escaped a couple of times out under our trampoline and he caught them in 10 seconds flat and put those "naughty chickens," according to him, back in the right place. He loves to pick them up but I'm not so sure they love it all that much. At least they have been trained to be loved on by kids.




AVH can't get enough of them either. He just points and says, "Oh! Oh!" While making the sign for "bird." I would guess that it won't be long before he is trying to pick them up too.

Last night a counselor in MJH's bishopric said that one of his many chickens just wants to sit on her eggs instead of wander. You know what that means . . . more chicks instead of scrambled eggs. He doesn't want more chicks but he was sure that we needed more. So, we may have more additions to our family before we know it. We'll keep you posted. Somehow my life feels a little more complete with Mike and Sheila around. Ha.

5 comments:

Artsy Aut said...

You're living the dream! Way to go! I am slightly jealous.

TCallihan said...

I will say that you are the most inspiring person when it comes to using what you have!! I know how much (lack) of land you have and you use every bit to benefit your family. I think your amazing that way.

Jen said...

I love that you have an inner-cowgirl...just like I had an inner-minivan lover! I love my van and you love your chickens. I love their names, by the way!

Sheri N. said...

So glad they found such a great home. Tweetie and Sella...uh, hem...Mike and Sheila, will be happy there for sure.

BTW...A special thank you for the help you gave yesterday watching the kids, and talking to me during my time of need. I am so lucky to have met you before all of this happened. How wonderful it is that you were also asked to be my visiting teacher. I think that was definitely heavenly inspiration at its best.

brownymama said...

Love the chicks! I also love the pictures of your little guy playing with them. Ahhh the joy of pets. Wish we could put some in our garden, but the dog would probably eat them. She's eating our garden already!! Maybe MH could build us a cage to keep the dog out!