Monday, February 9, 2009

Value Popcorn

We are in the planning stages for our YW New Beginnings right now. It is going to be great - think fairytale, storybook, knights in shining armour (well, maybe not but close).

I came across a recipe for "value popcorn" which is basically candied popcorn that you make using Jell-O and since it comes in all the colors of the rainbow, you can coordinate it to all of the YW values. I thought this would be a great addition to our NB.


I gave the popcorn a try yesterday to test it out and - YUM!!! It is really tasty! It's crunchy and fruity and so, so simple. My only disappointment is that it's not as brightly colored as I imagined it would be but I think a little food coloring will fix that.

This is a great new "go-to" sweet treat and I simplified it even more by using light microwave popcorn. You've got to try some - I couldn't keep my hands off of the stuff. THink how darling it would be to do for Valentine's Day with all of the red and pink Jell-O flavors!


Here's the recipe:

Value Popcorn

1 large box Jell-O (not sugar free)
1 stick butter
1/4 C light karo
1 tsp. baking soda
15 C popcorn (kernels removed)

Put the popped corn in a large bowl. In a saucepan put the Jell-O, butter, and Karo. Cook until melted and the sugar is dissolved. Bring to a boil and let cook about a minute at a hard boil. Remove from the heat and stir in the baking soda. (If you want to add food coloring I would do it now.) Pour over the popcorn and stir well to coat.

Put the coated popcorn in a brown paper grocery sack. Roll down the top and place it in the mircrowave. Cook for 45 second to 1 minute on high. Shake the bag and put it back in the microwave upside down for 30 more seconds. Shake and pour out onto waxed paper to cool.


Notes: I used grape for my trial and its was tutti-fruity! The microwave part adds a little extra carmelization to the sugary coating and it crisps it up. I also just used a small box of Jell-O and cut everything else in half. About one bag (a little less) of microwave popcorn works well for this halved recipe. Think of the delicious possibilities when you're dealing with Jell-O! Goodness, I want some more.

3 comments:

Kristi said...

Adrienne,
Your blog is so fun to visit. I don't know how you keep up with it as busy as you are!! Do you have Kristi Hansen's email address? I would love to contact her.

I am going to make those yummy looking sandwiches one night this week! They look to-die-for!
Thanks!
Kristi
kristiparry@yahoo.com

Abby said...

Adrienne - I LOVE this!!! You are the cleverest of the clever! And I'm totally salivating right now because I want some and I have no junk food in my house. (trying to behave) This would be so perfect for the V-Day parties this week - thanks for the recipe!

brownymama said...

Looks very yummy! I'll have you know I try your recipes quite often and they are all good! We need to get together soon! I miss you guys!