I happen to have a fond place in my heart for Mimi's Cafe. Maybe it's because I am a sucker for French Onion Soup and muffins, hot out of the oven - who knows. I love their Honey Oat Bran muffins and I have been searching for a recipe similar to theirs. I've only found one recipe that has even come close and they are really good.
Now normally the words "candy" and "bran muffins" don't go together but let me tell ya - these are like candy! There is a delicious brown sugary mixture that you brush the muffin tins with before you fill them and then when they are done baking you flip the muffins out upside down and they are covered with gooey, stick in your teeth, yumminess! My kids devoured them - well, me too.
Kinda Like Mimi's Bran Muffins
1 C flour
1 C bran (wheat or oat - I used wheat)
4 tsp. dry powdered milk
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. salt
1/3 C dark brown sugar, packed (I used light)
1/4 C dark corn syrup
2 Tbsp. molsses
1/4 C vegetable oil
1 egg
1/3 C raisins (don't freak out - they get pureed)
1/4 tsp. orange zest
1/2 C water
Glaze:
3 Tbsp. sugar
3 Tbsp. dark brown sugar, packed
3 Tbsp. shortening, melted
2 Tbsp. dark corn syrup
2 tsp. water
Distribute the glaze onto the bottom and sides of 12 muffin tins with pastry brush.
Combine flour, bran, milk powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Stir well and set aside.
Mix together brown sugar, dark corn syrup, molasses, oil and egg in separate bowl until well blended.
Puree raisins and orange zest with water in blender or food processor. Add to liquid ingredients. Stir liquid ingredients into dry ingredients until just moiustened.
Fill muffin tins 2/3 full and bake at 350 degrees for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Immediately invert onto foil or wax paper to cool. Serve upside down.
Notes: I got my bran in the bulk section of our grocery store - this is not a cereal. It looks kind of like wheat germ. Also, the glaze is more of a paste consistency but a pastry brush worked to get it into the muffin tins. I didn't have an orange on hand so I used about 1/2 tsp. orange extract and it worked perfectly. And lastly, when it says turn the muffins out immediately after baking - they mean IMMEDIATELY! That sugar starts to cool fast and it becomes like cement. I will also spray the TOP of my muffin tin with cooking spray next time so I don't have any muffin tops that stick around the edges. Hope that's helpful. Enjoy!
Friday, September 5, 2008
Mimi's Bran Muffins
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Of course, I snagged this recipe too. Hope to make time for making them someday. Keep posting yummy recipes! One of these days I'll surprise you with a cookbook in the mail, written by you!
So, I've been trying to figure out how to find ALL the recipes you've posted and print them off! Any ideas? You have the most AMAZING recipes. Thanks for sharing.
Post a Comment