Sunday, August 24, 2008

Fondant Cake Challenge

My brother and sister-in-law are always coming up with wonderful quirky things to do - you should see them in their second-hand D.I. Christmas sweaters every year - anyway, they just got interested in using fondant to decorate cakes and their interest has evolved into a friendly little competition. My mom is a culinary arts teacher at BYU-I and has a great recipe for marshmallow fondant (this is where the fondant interest was born). It's easy and cheap. I've been wanting to give it a try and so I am planning on entering. Anyone who wants to join in the fun is welcome. Here are the rules:

Fondant Cake Challenge:

-deadline for all cake entries will be Wednesday Sept 10 by midnight

-you may enter as many fondant cakes as you like

-you MUST USE FONDANT! (does not matter what type of fondant, as long as it is edible)

-teams are allowed

-each entry needs a BRIEF description of your inspiration behind the cake- why this cake, why these colors, based off of what theme... etc...

-email pictures to me, erinkusch@hotmail.com (try to submit pix with detail of the cake)

-must have at least one edible layer (if you are doing multiple layers and use a box for the first one, the top must be edible cake)

-if you enter a cake you may not vote - voting will be left up to others (Honor code on this one)

-voting will begin Friday Sept 12 and go for one complete week (ending Friday Sept 19 @ midnight)

Awards will be given for Most Popular cake and Judge's vote. Judge's vote will be based on difficulty and creativity. I am going to set up a blog for others to view and vote. There will be a poll-so you know who's cake will 'take the cake!' You will be able to view your cake there. All entry's will be annonymous on the blog, so not to bias the voters. You will be able to send your friends there, and I will set up a link from my family blog. If you would like it linked to your family's blog as well- that would be great... more viewers the better.


Here is a picture of one of the sweet cakes my bro. made out of marshmallow fondant. Go Cougs!


This is the cake my sis. in-law made, insired by her awesome chair!


Here is a project that my mom did for Culinary arts:


Here is the recipe:

Marshmallow Fondant

16 oz. mini marshmallows
2 Tbs water
2 lbs. powdered sugar
White crisco

Pour marshmallows and water in a microwave safe bowl. Microwave for 20 seconds. Stir. Keep microwaving in 10 second increments if needed. You want the marshmallows stirable, but not burnt. Marshmallows should be pretty smooth. Add a cup or two of powdered sugar to marshmallows and stir. (You will be using MOST the powdered sugar, so it does not matter if it is exact measurements or not). Dust the top of your workspace with a generous amount of powdered sugar and pour your marshmallows on top. Put a little Crisco on your hands to fold the powdered sugar into your fondant. (it keeps it from sticking to your hands) Knead in the powdered sugar from your workspace. Keep kneading, adding more powdered sugar as needed until your fondant becomes like a soft play dough. Now you are ready to create…

*Food coloring maybe added at any stage of the process. For multiple colors, separate fondant and knead it into the portion you want colored.

*This will make enough fondant to cover an 8” cake and then some.

Good Luck!

6 comments:

Erin said...

OK that's it your Mom is out of the competition. We can't compete with that!

megan said...

I saw the cougar cake and thought "maybe"...started getting a little nervous when I glimpsed the chair cake...then your mother's??? forget it...can I just eat a piece of everyones????

Artsy Aut said...

Im tempted! This looks like it might be fun. I will have to channel my 9th grade sculpture class.

Dawn said...

I was with you until the crisco part. There's got to be ALOT of powdered sugar to mask that! Can I get my cousin to enter? She's in northern Idaho and has played with fondant?

Alynda said...

Working with fondant is so fun and much eaiser that you think. Livy asked me to judge and I can't wait to see what everyone does. The possibilities are endless. I challenge you all to try (especially Megan)! Just know that once you start, you'll never be the same again! Let the cake games begin :)

Emily said...

This sounds so fun!